After I received the certificate of Japan tour guide in English, I have been offering Japanese calligraphy lessons in English.
As more and more foreign tourists are coming to Japan, I believe experiencing calligraphy must be one of the best ways to know about Japanese cultures. By writing on papers with brushes, tourists can understand not only Japanese characters (kanji, hiragana and katakana). They can learn how Japanese people feel their beauty, how we breath on each time, and why we regard calligraphy as one of the ways of meditation.
In Neigetsu calligraphy class, tourists start writing the basic lines and circles, drawing their own art, then trying to write Japanese basic characters like 「山（mountain）」「川（river)」. After learning such kinds of basic rules, they can enjoy writing their favorite characters like their names, favorite sports, philosophy etc.
If you hope to have a short tour in Tokyo, Neigetsu will take you around after calligraphy lessons. You will find some characters you learn in the lesson when you travel in the big city Tokyo!
- Neigetsu’s calligraphy lesson in English was introduced on NHK on June 12th. To watch the movie, please click here.
＞＞Neigetsu’s profile is here
|1, Basic calligraphy lesson||Private lesson: A lesson in penmanship, kanji, hiragana (60 minutes/ 2 people~)
||8,000JPY/pax||Shibuya or Ikegami|
|2, Basic calligraphy and traditional-Japanese fan making|| Private lesson: After studying basic calligraphy, we will make fans. (90 minutes/ 2 people~)
||10,000JPY/pax||Shibuya or Ikegami|
|3, Calligraphy + Ikegami area guide|| Private lesson and tour: After a calligraphy lesson at an old Japanese-style house, I will guide you around Ikegami Honmonji, one of the famous temples with 5 story pagoda. We can enjoy Japanese tradition al sweets in this town, too! (5 hour/ 2~10 people）
||30,000JPY/group||Shibuya or Ikegami|
- Please contact by email (email@example.com) at least one week before the desired lesson date.
- Shibuya lesson studio: Shibuya no IMA, 4F Rokuei Building, 6−17-14, Jingumae, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo
- Ikegami lesson studio: Rengetsu, 2-20-11, Ikegami, Ota-ku, Tokyo (20 minuites from Shinagawa Station)
- Other details are also introduced on LIVE JAPAN.